Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Swimming: A Non-contact Sport?

We had our first swimming casualty this afternoon. Spent a good deal of time wondering if we should brave the ER for stitches. In the end, decided on just a band-aid. Hope I made the right choice. I did ask a friend of mine who is a nurse who was at the practice with her own stooges. Of course, she's an ENT nurse so I'm not sure that counts as the same thing. She said it was deep enough for stitches but the location would make it a purely cosmetic thing. Since it was underneath the chin, I opted out. Of course, Larry thought he wanted stitches but his reasoning was he thought stitches would make it stop hurting. Luckily for us all, he's never had to endure the pain or trauma of stitches so he was clueless if not a little pitiful. Even the life guard at the pool offered to call the paramedics but all that was way too much drama for me. Especially since this wasn't a very bad cut at all and we had the bleeding stopped except for slight oozing by the time practice was over. Being that I used to work for a plastic surgeon, I knew that if we didn't go right away to the doctor, our window for stitches would be closed. I usually didn't see a lot of beforehand photos but did see lots of afters. This one was minor and I am grateful.

No comments: